Who knew that the secret to success, happiness, and connection was hidden in Spiderman on the PlayStation?
- Focus: What’s the one thing you need to do over the next month?
- Meditation for Creatives
- Just one crystal clear idea per day
- If you can do this one thing, you can, apparently, solve all of your miseries.
- Who knew that the secret to success, happiness, and connection was hidden in Spiderman on the PlayStation?
- When time stands still–or moves at the speed of light
We all have a bit of “Spidey Sense” in us.
Before I give it all away and you go out and buy Spiderman for the PlayStation, let me give you Step 2.
Step 1, by the way, was watching my son play Spiderman. Very important in the process. But without Step 2, Step 1 would have been just a…game.
Step 2 was my meditation the next morning. When I’m working on a new book (e.g. Meditate), events in daily life tend to fall into a chapter. I’ve been lax in my meditations over the past several weeks, but yesterday was a bit of a return to (ridiculously sublime) normal.
I realize I’m prolonging Step 1 here, but I have to emphasize the importance of Step 2.
You see, Step 1 was the trigger or the event or the “thing” that launched an idea.
But Step 2 is the action or the guidance or the message Step 1 is holding. Follow me yet?
- Step 1: Watch son play Spiderman.
- Step 2: Meditation where the importance of Step 1 became clear.
Got it? Great, we can move on. Thanks for hanging in there. I promise it’s worth it.
If you ever watched Spiderman or read the comic books, you’ll know Spiderman has a Spidey Sense. This is his sixth sense where he can detect, oh, I don’t know, a crime being committed or a message from someone.
In the level where Lu was playing, the evil-doer has shut down and taken over all communication in the city. Spiderman was up on a rooftop next to a communication (radio/telephone?) tower.
He could sense there was a frequency coming and going but it wasn’t the one the city was using. The frequency was the one the bad guys were using. The city (and all services and devices and people) couldn’t read or resonate or connect or decipher to this new frequency.
In the game, we could see a rolling wave graphic. Something like this:
Which is great and all, but what Spiderman had to do was to “tune in” to that frequency to be able to read it, understand it, listen to it, and interpret it.
I know what you’re saying:
“But he’s SPIDERMAN! Of course he can do that sort of thing!”You
I know, I know. But roll with me here for a minute. 😉
My son had to then use his controllers to adjust the frequency (speed of the rolling waves) as well as the height (I’m sure this has a more technical term, but I don’t know what it is). Once he matched those two elements up and kept it steady for a few seconds, he was locked in.
For those who remember how an old-fashioned radio worked, we had to adjust the dial, manually, until we got a clear connection. Sometimes we’d then drive too far and lose the connection, but a little more fiddling with the dial and we could sometimes get it back.
This is resonance. Frequency. Wavelength. Connection. Reading, listening, interpretation. Connection.
“We’re on the same wavelength.”
“We just clicked.”
“Lock in!”*Lots of people say
OK, the “Lock in!” quote comes from Steph Curry who (used to) tweet it before games.
To mix what has probably never been mixed before, Steph Curry and Spiderman, it’s the same thing: they’re
Game Mode deserves an entirely new post, but this is the frequency we want to be in. Where we’re ready to play, to focus, to be on track, on target, and at the higher frequency of the highest level of play.
Notice I said play and not work. It’s not accidental.
I feel the need to write about Game Mode because it’s all related here.
To wrap up…are you feeling it? Can you, ahem, relate to Spiderman? Can you feel Steph Curry locking into game mode?
How do you lock in? What frequency are you on when you’re at your best? How can you keep that level up on a regular basis?
This is the kind of work, I mean, play we’re digging into in Meditate.
But for now, find your Spidey Sense and let me know how it goes. In the meantime, I need to go walk Pepper–whose on his own high-level frequency and can turn it on in seconds. All I need to do to trigger it is shake his leash or put on my shoes by the front door and he’s locked in.
More Neuroscience, Wavelengths, and Spiderman
- Neuroscience: Your Brain Can Literally Be on the Same Wavelength as Someone Else’s Did you ‘click’ with someone? A brain scan could tell you.
- Do We All Vibrate at the Same Frequency? If you believe you will resonant to only one frequency, you are not giving yourself the opportunity for vibratory change.
- When we tune in to nature and other human beings, we create an energy field of understanding and empathy Resonance can be understood as a merging created when energy moves back and forth between two or more bodies.
- Your spidey-sense is actually a real thing “A central body plus radiating segments — that’s the template you need to (turn on) this super-responsive awareness,” evolutionary psychologist Joshua New told USA Today regarding the results of his study.