Live, Work, Create. Pick one.
- CREATE | Bouquets of flowers, men in suits, somber faces
- People want to create
- Lacking creativity? Tune into your radio frequency.
- Are you working on another book?
- Creating creates more creativity … even while driving a car
- Do something daring, find tribe, write book.
- Feeling stuck? Bogged down? Pop that boil, let it out, create.
- Just Stop (for the Day)
- “Why me?” versus “Why not me?”
- Here to Create
- How to go from Nothing to Everything
- Create | Day 0: How will you define success?
- The (no longer) secret formula to creative success: meditate + create
- Create | What if the goal were not to succeed but to create?
- Create | When is the absolute perfect time to start your masterpiece?
- Create | It’s not what you give or what they take or learn. It’s how they feel.
- Shoot off the flare gun of your passion and see who takes notice
- The Habit is the Goal
- “I have nothing to offer.”
- Are you waiting for someone to ask you to become a writer?
- What if you don’t know what your passion is?
- Give the Gift of You
- CREATE | Offense & Defense
- What is your output if your input is Netflix and Instagram?
- Live, Work, Create. Pick one.
- From Nothing to Something
- Create: Behind the Scenes in Creating
- There’s Nothing More Powerful Than an Idea Whose Time Has Come
- The artist rarely says, “I’d like to do less.”
- CREATE | The Cover
Which elevates the others?
I suppose you could do the whole, “You’re on a deserted island.” thing but how often do we really find ourselves on a deserted island?
How about more along the lines of:
You’re in your life. The one you’re currently living. Yes, that one. No islands. No deserters. It’s now and you have a choice.
Author’s Note: I’m going to take it for granted that “live” doesn’t mean “be alive” because that would narrow down the choice a bit more and make the other two tougher. I’m going with “live” as in “live the life you want” and all that jazz.
That’s going to take care of “live” if we’re down to one. We’re going to live the life we want to live no matter what. Oops, except that it might not be working out as well as you had hoped.
Speaking of working out… We can just toss “work”
What are we left with?
I’m currently working on a book called “Dare.” I’m going to go out on a limb here and dare, challenge, and rock the boat by saying that to “Create” is a more important action than to live or to work.
There, I said it.
Maybe it’s because I write every day. Maybe because I can’t not write. I have it in my system, in my blood, as part of who I have become.
If I’m not creating, I’m not living.
Some people might call that work. Maybe that’s how that word got in there.
“Work” is stuff I have to do (pay bills, figure out how software functions, etc.).
But to create is to live.
To make, build, do.
Create something that wasn’t there before.
It doesn’t have to be “art” in the sense you might be thinking: painting, book, song.
It might be an idea, a plan, even a holiday planned.
It’s something you used your mind, ideally that imagination section, to make something that wasn’t there before.
But a physical thing (yes, a book, a painting, a song) is easier to see and understand and accept as a symbol of that thing you now did.
What does it mean for you?