Which microphone to get started recording audiobooks?
- The future of the audiobook market is wide open because it is device independent.
- The Birth of an Audiobook: What if you just tried one chapter?
- Want to really become an expert at something? Write a book about it.
- Is your audiobook worth a credit? In other words: $14.99?
- Could audiobooks be the secret media to reach your kids’ minds?
- 5 Reasons Nonfiction Authors Should Narrate Their Own Audiobooks
- Because I’m not going to read your book like this–but I’ll listen to it.
- Looking for Audiobook Reviews? Audiobook Boom
- Your audiobook playing in a stranger’s living room? Crazy, I know.
- 5 Reasons Nonfiction Authors Should Hire a Professional Narrator for their Audiobooks
- How $14.38 confirmed my future audiobook publishing strategy.
- When the narrator is deeply connected to the author’s material.
- Why my “Every Single Day” book as audiobook is even more exciting than the print or ebook.
- If your book was available on audio, this might have happened to you.
- You read your books out loud for editing anyway, right?
- Free online tool to add meta tags and image tag to MP3 file
- Add Audible book to your purchase for just $1.99
- Possibly the easiest $50 you might never get. Introducing the Audible Bounty.
- One of my goals for my “Audio for Authors” book and course: Short, Sweet, and Done
- Which microphone to get started recording audiobooks?
- My first test with transcription and how this is going to change … everything.
- The Writer’s Guide to Training Your Dragon (Review)
- How’s that audiobook studio coming along? It might be time to get out of the house.
- Is this the next chapter of audiobooks?
- Audio for Authors: What does this teach? What does this solve? What am I giving?
Note the important part of that: “get started”!
I’m no audio pro technical producer who can hear that a piano is out of tune from the back of the auditorium during a thunderstorm.
I basically want what it going to work and not break the bank.
In my hours and hours of scouring online forums and comparisons and trying to stay under about $100, I found this one to the be the mic that kept coming up for audiobook recording:
Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone
Is it the best in the world? No.
The cheapest? No.
Does it also iron my shirts and backup my hard drive? No and no.
Does it work? Yes.
Is it good for audiobooks for “starters”? Yes.
Is it under $100? Yes.
There. I did your research for you.
Did you see all of those “No” answers above? If you’d like to find a better, cheaper, more perfect microphone to get the job done, I’m 100% sure you can do so. I’d love to hear about it, actually! I don’t mean this mic is the end-all-be-all of audiobook microphones. It’s what I found, it’s what I use, and it’s working.