What if I’d like to be one of the people like you who do things like that?
- Spark Campfire | Step out of your comfort zone to uncover your true message
- Everyone is born a genius
- Here’s what I’m giving my nieces for Christmas
- The 1/4″ drill bit, Bali, cocktails on the beach, love, pride, and Spark
- Is your goal to have fun or win an award?
- I recorded an 11-second video 4 years ago that’s the foundation of my next book.
- Don’t wait 12 years. Please.
- It’s not only for you and your kids but your grandkids … and beyond.
- Is there anything possibly worse than not starting the project?
- Oops. That’s what I forgot: a story.
- The One Recipe Cookbook (and how to finish a project together with your kids)
- Best books for doing activities with your kids, creating family memories, and building relationships between parents and children
- Spark: It’s about creating something from nothing. Let’s create a subtitle, shall we?
- People like us do things like this
- Why Spark? Why me? Why you? Why now?
- What if I’d like to be one of the people like you who do things like that?
- Permission to … change my book title?
- Write a book with your kids? 43 elements for success. 42 are optional.
- It seems like backwards math, but by creating, we are actually “getting” more than we are “giving.”
- The Widow and the Orphan
- Spark Love: About that 1 mandatory element of the 43…
- Recipe for Love
- Kids need to crash their bikes to learn how to ride.
- Spark at “#1 New Release in Parent Participation in Education”
- Spark has hit #1 in Parenting in Free Books
- Spark Campfire
- When you document it, it becomes more real
- It takes as long as the time allotted
- I don’t want to navigate negativity.
- What’s the one little spark going to be that sets off the creativity in you (or your child)?
- Spark Campfire February 2019
- Find someone who believes he is alone and convince him that he is not.
- Well, wait a minute. That wasn’t so hard.
- Someone out there could use the help from the you of today
- I just got off the phone with my niece (and why that’s important).
- How to structure your non-fiction
- Spark Campfire | I wish I knew my nephew
- Spark Campfire | Why are you the person to write this book?
- Spark Campfire | Can we write a book and be less in front of a screen?
- Spark Campfire | How we define success
- Spark Campfire | So, you say you don’t have a book idea?
- Spark Campfire | Think about your audiobook before you thought you needed to
- Spark Campfire | Time Capsule
- Spark Campfire | Sweat Hut
It starts with open.
Maybe you’re not quite there yet. You’d like to be, you’re ready to be, you’re even open to being that person. But it’s just not quite to the point where you feel ready.
This is a reference to my post a few days ago titled “People like us do things like this.” which is based 100% on Seth Godin’s new book “This is Marketing.” It was meant to be exclusionary in that it was for “people like us,” but what about those who’d like to “do things like this”? Here we go.
We can make that happen. Well, technically, I can’t make that happen. You have to make that happen. But I can offer a hand and help pull you up, help unstick the glue under your feet that’s keeping you down. That’s keeping you from being:
I’m not the kind of person who does things like that
I’d like to be the kind of person who does things like that
I will be the kind of person who does things like that
and then it’s actually just one last step to the easiest part:
I am the kind of person who does things like that
This last part happens when you “do a thing like that.”
This is where Create comes into play.
- Getting done
- Making it happen (even when you think you can’t)
- Doing it anyway
- Getting clutter out of your path
- Slowly forgetting that you used to be the type of person who didn’t do things like this
- Do things like this
- Do a thing like this
- Get it started
- Work it through
- Get it done
- Did a thing like this
There. That wasn’t so bad, was it?
That whole process? It took some time. But the amount of time is flexible. Here are some options:
- 31 days
- 4.2 years
- A weekend
- A lifetime
- Two lifetimes
- Let’s think about it some more
- A week
- An hour
- A minute
- One second
That last one sounds a little too simple, right? Yet it comes down to this: decide.
That’s the big secret between the difference between those people like us and those people like you used to be.
See what happened?
Somewhere along the way, you made the decision to no longer be that type of person and become this other kind of person.
It doesn’t take four years of university. It’s not a diploma or a plaque on the wall or a certificate.
It’s a mindset.
Which means it’s both simple and … not always easy.
Except when it’s easy.
Except when you decide to make that change and be that person.
Come on along. I’ve got my hand waiting for you to pull you up.
I’m up here and the weather is fine. Join us.
For more on the concept and philosophy of “It starts with open,” visit here.